Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Bradbury List


EEK!

Some folks don’t like spiders. Some fear heights. And rumor has it that public speaking terrifies most of us. Fear is certainly a funny and fickle thing. In fact, I once met an editor who got the willies from open umbrellas. To this day, I have no idea how she manages to get through those New York Aprils.

Oddly enough, many writers are afraid of the empty page. They see its blank stare, and it stops them in their tracks. Sadly, there’s not a medical term for this specific fear. Although during my search I did run across the term Pentheraphobia, which means you have a morbid fear of your of mother-in-law. This was an interesting find for me, given that my mother-in-law is currently a guest in my home. I am happy to report that I have not developed a case of pentheraphobia…

Yet.

Anyway, back to the topic of that menacing blank page. My guess is that this fear is actually some combination of the following:

Atelophobia- Fear of imperfection
Catagelophobia- Fear of being ridiculed
Cathisophobia- Fear of sitting
Cenophobia- Fear of new ideas
Decidophobia- Fear of making decisions
Eremophobia- Fear of being oneself
Ergophobia- Fear of work
Graphophobia- Fear of writing
Kenophobia- Fear of voids or empty spaces
Leukophobia- Fear of the color white
Metrophobia- Fear of poetry
Mnemophobia- Fear of memories
Mythophobia- Fear of myths or stories
Papyrophobia- Fear of paper
Phronemophobia- Fear of thinking
Sophophobia- Fear of learning
And Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words (clearly some diagnostician had one wickedly cruel sense of humor)

Do you really want to walk around with this soup of fear sloshing inside of you?

I didn’t think so. Well then, you’re just going to have to get over it. For a quick fix, I suggest that you spend some time in a room full of snakes. It is guaranteed to make the blank page seem like your best friend. Of course, your feelings toward slithering serpents may never be the same (Ophidiophobia).

If you don’t have a room full of snakes, then advice from the writing Grandmaster, Ray Bradbury, will do the trick.

Ray reports that early in his writing adventures, he began to make lists. Some were titles, some were simply nouns, but all had an emotional link for him. As he puts it, “I was feeling my way toward something honest, hidden under the trapdoor on the top of my skull.”

Here’s an excerpt from one of his early lists:

THE NIGHT
THE RAVINE
THE BABY
THE CROWD
THE CARNIVAL
THE CAROUSEL
THE SCYTHE
THE SKELETON

If you are familiar with Ray’s work, you’ll recognize each of their connections to this simple catalog of words. Ray says that whenever he was stuck, he could simply turn to his list and write about whatever stood out for him in that moment.

A simple fix.

No snakes required.


PROMPT: Grab an old notebook and begin your Bradbury list. I suggest that you keep it handy because good ideas can fly into your head at any time. And remember, your personal list can be anything – even tiny sketches. The only rule is that you must have fun with it. Fun trumps fear every single time. Good thing, too – there’s no medical term for “fear of lists” either.

For a sunshiny “ray” of inspiration, pick up Ray Bradbury’s Zen in the Art of Writing.

Ray rocks!

4 comments:

  1. Seems to me I read that book sometime in the past couple of months. I think he got me reading poetry aloud. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Angi. Poetry is best served aloud. ;-) I've had my copy of Ray's book for quite some time, and I reread it whenever I need a boost.

      Delete
  2. I've never read ZEN IN THE ART OF WRITING. Sounds like a good one!

    Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice one to have on the shelf. Great weekend, right back at you! Hope you're enjoying some blue sky, too!

      Delete