Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Wilder Dreams



I’m dreaming big this week! Yep, I’m really going for it.
I will be shelling out some cash for my first herd of livestock.
Very soon, my friends, I will be managing a…
worm bin.
I know, I know, it doesn’t sound like much – but hey, I figure that if I can keep a few pounds of worms alive, come next spring I’ll be the Chief Egg Officer for a flock of chickens. I hear they’re only a slight notch higher on the farm animal intelligence scale.
Yeah, I’ve talked about my love of all things Ingalls before, but truth be told, it’s really the Wilder place in Farmer Boy that sets my prairie heart afire.
That was one sweet farm – chickens, turkeys, cows, sheep, horses, and a DOUGHNUT JAR in the kitchen.
Yep, the whole kit and caboodle is just one worm bin away for me.
However, I do realize that there are a few minor obstacles between me and the DOUGHNUT JAR. First, I have to face the fact that I don’t have a whole posse of children to help with the chores. I have teens, and teens, well, they usually have OTHER PLANS – and helping mom go a little barn crazy is typically not one of them.  Second, I have a husband who already works about 12 hours a day corralling a different sort of stock.
Then it occurred to me that if I could just combine Farmer Boy with another favorite children’s book – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone – YeeHAW, I could really get something going on!
Just imagine – the DONUT JAR could fill itself! And in a pinch, I could round up the sheep with a broom. Sure, there would be THINGS THAT MUST NOT BE NAMED like prairie fires and fever ‘n’ ague, but seriously, with Harry as my best farmhand what’s a grasshopper plague or two really gonna do?

PROMPT: Create a wilder combination by putting together two of your favorite books today. Pair A Wrinkle in Time with Winnie the Pooh, think Pollyanna meets Hatchet, or merge that match made in children’s book heaven – The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Holes. YeeHAW!

No comments:

Post a Comment