Monday, February 20, 2012

Salutations! Welcome to my blog for writers, artists, and creators of all types. In other words, if you tend to utilize oxygen and have a pulse, this blog is for you! Within its digital pages you’ll find plenty of tricks, tips, and prompts that you can use to jumpstart your creative endeavors. And probably lots of random stuff, too (points for honesty).

Who am I? My name is Barb, and I am a recovering psychologist. I left the field of head shrinking to go out on a limb and pursue my passion for writing. It has been a very long limb. Over the years I’ve created poems, stories, a couple of kids, and hundreds of fiction and nonfiction pieces for the children’s education market. Life is good. My goal for this blog is to share what I know (and don’t know) about the creative process and connect with other creators on the path. Join me. It will be fun.

So, why The Mind’s Elbow? Because everyone knows about the mind’s eye. However, I am pretty sure it has an elbow, too. Sure it does. Why? Because I just said so. And now I’m fairly certain that you’re imagining what a mind’s elbow would look like. That’s how it works – all this creative stuff. You simply think about it, and there it is. So think of something wild and crazy. See elbows, those unsung heroes, wherever you go… and see the world anew.

 

PROMPT: Peanut butter and jelly, cookies and milk, sticks and stones – enough already! They get all the good press (except maybe the sticks and stones). What about things that DON’T go together? What two things really don’t belong on the same page? Write, paint, or create about them today. Or just think about them. Whatever. It’s your day. Have fun in it.

2 comments:

  1. Pillows and toothpicks don't go together. If you have a soft place to rest your head and sleep, you don't need toothpicks to keep your eyes open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great one! Now you’ve got me imagining a pillow full of toothpicks – Yikes! Forget about your firewalkers and nail-bed sleepers, toothpick pillow people are the bravest of all!

      Delete