Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Just the Facts, Ma’am


Believe it or not, I know a lot of facts. Sure, they’re useless facts, but they’re my facts and I’m sticking with ‘em. I’m pretty certain of them, too. Unlike my dad whose addendum to every fact-telling tale was, “Well… I’m pretty sure it’s true… I may have dreamt it… or made it up.” Hmmm…Maybe Mr. Daisey of Apple fabrication fame is looking for an assistant.
Anyway, fact-finding comes with the territory when you write for the children’s education market. And here’s a tip – if you want a great partner for the old game of Trivial Pursuit, pick a children’s nonfiction writer. I may sadly bore you to death-by-facts in a conversation, but I’ll help you bring home the pie. No doubt about it.
Truth be told, facts are fantastic launching points for fiction. The old adage “Truth is stranger than fiction” became an adage precisely because it is strangely true.
Let’s take the anglerfish. You might remember this one from Finding Nemo – it’s the sea creature with the pretty light that attracts prey right up to its wicked grin. Sure, its “angler” angle is a pretty strange truth, but trust me, this toothy fish gets even “truthier”.
First off, the anglerfish who invites Marlin for dinner is a female. It is only the female who looks that way. Obviously, her personality doesn’t score any points either. Well, as you can imagine, having those two strikes against her can make a prom date hard to find. And so, she engages in… well, let’s call it “extreme dating”.
All she has to do is employ her feminine wiles to entice the much smaller male to give her a wee little love bite. A regrettable choice for Mr. Anglerfish. His mouth fuses to her skin and then… over time… his eyes shrink and disappear. Uh-oh. His organs are next to go. Eventually, he is just a lump – a sperm-generating lump, but a lump nonetheless.
Well, you asked.
Actually, you didn’t… Sorry.
Just enjoy the day appreciating the fact that you are not a male anglerfish.

PROMPT: Do some fact-finding today! I especially recommend delving into the deep sea and VOILA – instant science fiction!  There’s no telling what strange other-worldly creatures you can dream up when poking around your own planet.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. Just FYI, as I opened the page, I was thinking, "I'm going to leave a comment this time, telling Barb how much I look forward to the day's blog. It's such a treat - my Go To spot that I am coming to rely on. Especially when I need a little pick-me-up. Something positive." And, well, eye-ball sucking, lump-making, organ-shrinking...and, well... Truly, this is the REAL reason why I count on you. :-) [SB]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your eye-popping, lump-in-the-throat-making comment. I’m pretty sure my liver was happy about it, too, so that covers the organ part. You’ve made my day!

      Delete