Friday, August 3, 2012

Sometimes You Just Have to Stop…


And sew a chicken.
Or three.
Yeah, once in a while I like to shake things up a bit, break out the sharp implements, and flex my mind’s elbow in a different way.
So I sew.
Most of the time, I quilt – but please don’t get the impression that I’m some kind of quilting queen.
I’m actually not very good.
And I’m a little slow – so, I only sew baby quilts.
Thus far, my lifetime quilt tally totals only 3 ½.
Um… and the future “baby” recipient of quilt number ½ is, well…
10 years old.
Yeah, I consider it my finest piece
of procrastination.
But, Mark, if you’re reading this – that quilt is all yours when you head off to college, for sure!
Um, and while I’m at it – Luke, we need to talk. I’m thinking that by the time you’re a grandpa…

Anyway, I just wanted to say that it’s okay
to dabble,
tinker,
Or fiddle around.
It’s good to stretch those creative muscles in a different way once in a while.

And this week I decided that chickens were just the thing.
So I sewed…
a cheeky, chicky set of juggling balls.
Because, admit it –
you’ve always wanted to juggle poultry.

Okay, maybe that’s just me.

PROMPT: Do a little dabbling in a different way this weekend. Stretch that mind’s elbow of yours – and next week you’re sure to find more room in there for all the creative work you love.

10 comments:

  1. Great reminder! And those chickens are adorable. I have a collection of baby quilts that weren't finished in time or didn't turn out nice enough to give away...so they all became TV-watching, snuggle on the couch blankets. Movie viewing at my house is REALLY cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Emily, I feel so much better now that I'm part of a wild kind of baby quilt club (even if it's just us!). And thank you for the chicken compliment. These days, it seems that I cannot resist the strange and powerful pull of a poultry project.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Barb. You make me smile. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luke and I just had a conversation about this Grand Pa quilt and he is all good with it. I'm suppose to tell you he likes Thomas the Tank Engine if you can throw that in there.

      Delete
    2. You're kidding -- Luke's got a Thomas thing going? I had NO idea! He hides it so well, you know. ;)

      Delete
  3. You never know when one of our characters will do the things we do when we dabble and tinker. It's always good to do those things because you might write about them later.

    I have nominated you for a Sunshine Blogger Award. Please visit my blog within the next few days to participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the added character benefits of our tinkering. And thanks so much for the "Sunshiny" thoughts -- You made my day!

      Delete
  4. Can you give me your link. I couldn't find it on the net. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This may work... http://themindselbow.blogspot.com/

      Delete