Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Git Along Little Rhymers!




What the Cluck?

Oh hush up, old rooster; it’s three in the morn.
I've been workin’ for feed, and I’m wasted and worn.

While you’re out there doodlin’ again and again
Disregarding the cusses of human and hen.

Three thirty, AWAKE and the ceiling’s my view
“For cryin’ out loud!” I say… then you do.

Well, now you've done made it fer certain that maybe
By the A.M. tomorrow my sleep’s à la baby.

‘Cause here’s an idea for yer fowl brain to chew
There might be a reason I done named ya “Stu.”


Yup, I’m trying my (ranch) hand at some cowboy poetry in honor of the 30th National Cowboy Poetry Gathering that’s herding up in Elko, Nevada this week.

In case you’re unfamiliar with cowboy poetry… well… it’s poetry written by cowfolk (no, you don’t have to be a “boy”), and it tends to cover topics like ranch work and life on the range. Many of the poems look at the funny side of things and offer sarcastic opines regarding modern contraptions and lifestyles.

So, get inspired by listening to the master of the genre, Baxter Black, then try a piece of your own.

With a little practice, who knows —

You could be the next

Poet Lariat!


PROMPT: Fetch yerself a scrap of paper and git scribbling.


No comments:

Post a Comment