Monday, April 21, 2014

This is Just to Say…


Yes, we're still celebrating National Poetry Month! And that, my friends, is a wonderful thing.
I love to use poetry to jump-start my writing day. Here’s how you can, too:

Step 1) Pick a poem, any poem.
Step 2) Read and enjoy.
Step 3) Rewrite it  your way.

That’s all there is to it.
Today let’s take a look at William Carlos Williams. Remember him? I love to use his poems for this exercise because he wrote of everyday objects cut down to their bare and beautiful bones.
I also love the fact that he was a busy physician who wrote a lot of his poetry on prescription pads.
One of my favorites is “This is Just to Say”. It’s written as if it were a note left on the refrigerator. As I don't want to infringe a copyright, please take a quick click and read it here.
Now that you've read and enjoyed (Step 2), it is time for the Step 3 rewrite...

This is Just to Say

I have eaten
the chocolate
that was hidden
behind the mason jars
and under the matches

and which
you were probably
saving
for some emotional emergency

Please don’t kill me
it was delicious
so smooth
and so sweet

Well, I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to rock and write! But first…
Chocolate!

PROMPT: Try it! 1-2-3 instant poetry! Visual artists can do this, too. Simply paint or sketch whatever your chosen poem brings to mind. Check out Charles Demuth’s
I Saw the Figure 5 in Gold that was inspired by… wait for it… a William Carlos Williams poem! Go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment